The following information is provided to help visitors plan their activities while in Bali. There will usually be far more traffic on National Holidays and the evening before. There are colorful festivals on some days – as well under normal conditions temples (Pura) will be crowded so plan on seeing temples on different days. However This year (2022) most celebrations will be subdued due to Covid 19.
The actual days of holidays and festivals vary from year to year as most Bali events are set by Lunar calendars.
While not likely to directly affect visitors the New and Full moon days are listed for information as these are special for most Balinese.
Please note that there may be special events occurring at a local level that are not listed here and may affect visitors. In addition Government Offices and banks may have additional days when they are closed.
Holidays and Special Events
- January 29, 2022: Tumpek Kandang. (“The celebration of Animals”).
- February 01, 2022: Chinese New Year National Holiday
- March 01, 2022: Isra Mi'raj National Holiday
- March 02 and 03, 2022: The days before Nyepi. On normal days there are colourful parades. This year these are likely to be muted and just for local Balinese.
- March 03, 2022: Nyepi Hindu “Day of Silence” and a National Holiday. Plan on staying home on this day as everything will be closed. The 3 days after involve private Balinese ceremonies.
- March 26, 2022: Saraswati Day. (Celebrations and ceremonies to do with Knowledge and books).
- March 30, 2022: Pagerwesi day. (“Day of Wisdom.” A day full of blessings and ceremonies).
- April 09, 2022: Tumpek Landep Day. (Ceremonies and blessings for metal tools and objects).
- April 15, 2022: Good Friday (Easter) National Holiday
- May 01, 2022: Labour Day National Holiday
- May 01, 2022: Hari Raya Idul Fitri National Holiday
- May 02, 2022: Lebaran Holiday National Holiday
- May 14, 2022: Tumpek Uduh Ceremony (Blessings for plants and lord of plants).
- May 16, 2022: Waisak Day National Holiday
- May 26, 2022: Ascension Day of Jesus Christ National Holiday
- June 01, 2022: Pancasila Day National Holiday
- June 08, 2022: Galungan Ceremony. (The celebration of the victory of good over evil). This is a time of happy and colourful ceremonies. In normal years the streets will be lined with Penjor bamboo poles and on the day the temples will be filled with people.
- June 18, 2022: Kuningan. The end of the period of ceremonies and celebrations that start with Galungan.
- July 10, 2022: Idul Adha National Holiday
- July 30, 2022: Islamic New Year National Holiday
- August 17, 2022: Independence Day National Holiday
New Moon and Full Moon Celebrated
- January 17,2022: Full Moon
- February 01, 2022: New Moon
- February 15, 2022: Full Moon
- March 02, 2022: New Moon
- March 17, 2022: Full Moon
- April 01, 2022: New Moon
- April 16, 2022: Full Moon
- April 30, 2022: New Moon
- May 15, 2022: Full Moon
- May 30, 2022: New Moon
- June 14, 2022: Full Moon
- June 28, 2022: New Moon
- July 13, 2022: Full Moon
- July 28, 2022: New Moon